Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Pie quest

So, my mission to myself while in the US, was to try all the different kinds of pies I could get my hands on! The American's are famous for pie - apple pie, pumpkin pie, banana cream pie....

Apple pie - New York: this was not so good as my first pie... it was cold, the pastry was greasy and it doesn't look very appetising does it? I vowed to re-do the apple somewhere along the way
Banana Cream Pie - Chicago: Yum! a custard with banana and a biscuit base, topped with *fake* whipped cream. Apart from the fake cream, this was pretty good


Key Lime Pie - Estes Park, Colorado: Yum Yum Yum!! This was probably the yummiest pie I had. More like a lime cheesecake, it was smooth, zesty and D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!

Strawberry Rhubarb pie - West Yellowstone, Montana: VERY sweet, but delicious. This pie was perfect to top off a day exploring Yellowstone NP in the snow. Should have ordered ice cream instead of cream, as they love their canned cream in the States (yuck)


Chocolate Cream Pie - Twin Falls, Idaho: roadside diner pie. For a chain store diner this wasn't bad. Much like a chocolate bavarian as we know them over here.

Apple pie do-over - San Francisco: This apple pie was MUCH better! Warm, with a dollop of ice cream, it filled the bowl. The pastry was nice and short. YUM!

New York Cheesecake - San Francisco: technically not a pie, but I had to include it. This one was delicious!


Pecan Pie - The Castro, San Francisco: Pecan pie is one of my favourites, and this one was devine. Not too sweet, and a good dispersion of pecans throughout. Yum Yum!


My only regret is that I didn't get to try Pumpkin Pie. It wasn't pumpkin season, I guess, so I couldn't find it anywhere....
All in all, I think it was a successful quest, apart from the extra 1 or 2kg I carried home around my belly...

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! Delicious! I'd really like to try the key lime pie; the way people talk about it... mmm.

    I get to try traditional USA style pumpkin pie next week, when Reuben takes me to a local southern style restaurant near him in Sydney... I'm very excited :D

    ReplyDelete